Streets & Drainage Maintenance


As of July 1, 2009, the City of Rocky Mount Streets and Stormwater Division was responsible for the repair and maintenance of nearly 283 miles of improved streets. Of this total, 277 miles are paved (198 Nash County, 79 Edgecombe County) and 6 miles are soil, stone, or gravel (4 miles Nash County, 2 miles Edgecombe County). It is important to note that there are nearly 100 miles of state maintained roadways (e.g. US 64 Bypass, Sunset Avenue, Raleigh Blvd) and numerous private streets located in the city limits for which the City is not responsible for maintenance.

Services include: repairing utility cuts, potholes, repairs to street sections damaged by root intrusion or a compromised sub-base, maintenance of public dirt streets, and crack sealing to weatherproof streets and/or in advance of street resurfacing. Maintaining adequate drainage is also an important part of extending pavement life. Specific activities related to drainage that are part of the Division's repair and maintenance activities include the grading and restoration of shoulders on strip paved streets and the maintenance and grading of roadside ditches. For more information, please contact the Streets Division at 252 467-4800 option 6.


The Streets Division is responsible for the repair of potholes on city maintained streets. Potholes on state maintained roadways are the responsibility of the NCDOT and should be reported to the NCDOT County Maintenance office at 252 459-2762. If you are unsure of whether the location involves a city maintained or state maintained street, you can report the location to the Streets Division at 252 467-4800 and the location will be referred to the NCDOT if appropriate. Depending on the time of year and the nature of the pothole, the repair will be handled in one of two ways. While the preferred method of repair is to remove the damaged portion of the street and repair with hot mix asphalt, depending on the nature of the surrounding pavement and the time of year, use of a cold mix asphalt may be required. If cold mix is deemed appropriate,the location may require repair with a hot mix asphalt at a later date. While less efficient, failure to repair the pothole until conditions would allow the use of hot mix may subject the pavement to additional damage due to the penetration of water into the pavement sub-base. Potholes also pose a potential danger to motorists both in terms of vehicular damage and the possibility of hydroplaning as a result of standing water.

Street Resurfacing

The City's street resurfacing program is primarily funded through gas tax proceeds remitted to the City by the State of North Carolina. These funds are allocated to the City based on roadway mileage and population. As these funds are inadequate to resurface every city maintained street as often as conventional pavement maintenance guidelines would suggest, the Public Works Department utilizes information compiled through a pavement condition survey in order to identify streets to be resurfaced and to determine their priority. This survey is completed on approximately a five year basis by an outside consultant with expertise in the evaluation and pavements and pavement rehabilitation.

In addition to evaluating the most cost effective strategy to extend pavement life, information from the pavement condition survey, local knowledge of pavement conditions, and traffic volumes are utilized along with financial considerations and the need for geographic parity when determining what streets will be resurface and when.

Crack Sealing

Crack sealing is intended to preserve pavement life by preventing moisture from reaching the pavement sub base through cracks in the pavement surface. While there are a variety of factors that can result in cracks in the pavement, they primarily result from pavement age, pavement fatigue, reflective cracking, or base failure. Crack sealing typically occurs December through March and entails removing foreign material from the cracks and filling with an asphalt-based material that is heated and injected into the crack. As the crack sealant cools, it solidifies and hardens. While streets that have been crack sealed may not be aesthetically pleasing, the importance of crack sealing to extend the life of the pavement and to prevent more extensive pavement failures can not be overstated. This method of preserving pavement life is one of the more cost effective pavement rehabilitation and preservation techniques available for use by the City.

Sidewalk Construction & Maintenance

All sidewalks are constructed and maintained in accordance with ADA guidelines and the local building code governing sidewalks. Maintenance and repair activities are based on the type of failure, the severity, and the potential impact on pedestrian safety. Locations requiring repair are identified by staff and through reports received from the public. Any concerns regarding sidewalk conditions or locations in need of repair should be reported to the Streets Division at 252 467-4800.

Yard Waste & Compost

The Streets Division is also responsible for operation of the city's yard waste and compost site located on Arrow Road. This facility is utilized to convert loose leaves collected during the months of November, December, and March, yard waste collected by the Environmental Services Division, and other vegetative material generated by other city departments into compost. This material is then given away to residents at no charge for landscaping needs during the months of April through October. For information and directions to the mulch/compost site, please call 252 467-4800. While quantities last, mulch/compost give-a-way is every Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and the first Saturday of each month at the same times. The amount that an individual or business receives may be limited based on the supply of mulch/compost which is available. Click here to see a map of the Compost Site.

Yard waste consists of grass, weeds, leaves, tree trimmings, pruning, limbs and shrubbery no longer than 4 feet in length and 4 inches in diameter that result from homeowner maintenance of yards and gardens. A different collection crew will collect yard waste that is properly prepared and/or containerized in compliance with City regulations on the same day that your garbage and household trash are collected.

Your yard waste crew will collect limbs, no larger than 4 feet in length and 4 inches in diameter, that have been bundled and tied up with string or twine and weigh less than 50 lbs. For pickup of limbs and shrubbery that exceed 128 cubic feet (8 feet long by 4 feet wide by 4 feet in height), residents must call 252 467-4800 option 7 two business days prior to their scheduled collection day.

Tree and shrub trimmings resulting from work performed by a contractor(any one you pay to do the work) will not be collected. The contractor will be responsible for removal and disposal of this debris. The City will not pick up materials resulting from land clearing, landscaping or large improvement projects involving large or multiple tree removal.

Place all leaves, grass clippings, shrubbery and small limbs in a container (boxed, clear or transparent bags, yard waste carts purchased from the City or 32 gallon cans) for collection at the curb by 7:00 a.m.on your collection day. Containers should not weigh more than 50 lbs. Bags used for yard waste disposal should be left with top untied so that the driver can see that it is yard waste only. Yard waste will not be collected from wheelbarrows, drums, sheets, oversize bags or tarps.

Yard waste must be containerized or properly prepared and placed at curbside for collection on the resident's property, not in the street.

Roll-out containers designated for yard waste disposal may be purchased from the City. Service will be provided for a maximum of two City roll-out containers designated for yard waste for each residence.

The City may need to designate where yard waste is to be placed by residents in order to provide safe and efficient service. Residences on corner lots will be collected from the street locations considered most serviceable for collection crews and equipment. The City will not pick up yard waste from vacant lots, abandoned structures, commercial establishments, or multifamily locations serviced by stationary containers (dumpsters).

Loose Leaf Collection

The Streets Division collects loose leaves from residents during the months of November, December, March, and April. To facilitate collection, the City is divided into two (2) areas (North and South) with collection alternating from one area to the other weekly. To determine which route a resident is assigned to, click here to see the loose leaf collection map. In addition, most residents have a decal on the rollout cart serviced by the Environmental Service Division which identifies their route assignment. During loose leaf collection season, residents are asked to rake their leaves and pine straw into piles behind the curb or onto the road shoulder if no curb exists. Failure to adhere to this practice can lead to clogged storm drains, ponding water on streets, and localized flooding.

Loose leaf piles should be free of trash, sticks, limbs, bottles, cans, and other debris so that leaves and pine straw may be processed into clean mulch and compost. Collection crews will not collect loose leaves if these items are present. To provide for efficient collection, residents are asked to have leaves ready for collection by 7:00 a.m. on the Monday morning of their collection week. Every year, some residents ask us to deliver leaves to their home so that they can create mulch for their landscaping needs. If you would like us to deliver a load of leaves to your home, or if you have any other questions regarding the loose leaf collection program, please call the Streets and Stormwater Division at 252 467-4800. During the remaining nine months of year, residents are required to bag loose leaves in a clear plastic bags for collection by the Environmental Services Division on their normal day of trash and yard waste collection.

Snow & Ice Removal

The Streets Division is responsible for snow and ice removal within the city limits. In most cases, this applies to city maintained roadways and most state maintained roads within the city. Exceptions include primary routes such as Wesleyan Boulevard (US 301 Bypass), US 64, and I-95. In most cases, the Division will apply liquid brine to the more heavily traveled roadways in advance of a snow or ice event. For the most part, brine inhibits precipitation from freezing on street surfaces and accelerates melting once plowing is initiated. During the storm, sand or sand and salt is applied to further inhibit freezing on street surface sand to provide additional traction at locations subject to ice accumulation. Either during and/or after a snow or ice event, snowplowing is performed to remove the material from the streets and to restore city streets to pre-event conditions. In general, plowing is only initiated when snow accumulations reach over two (2) inches. Accumulations less than two (2) inches or events that include more ice than snow are not appropriate for plowing.

Graffiti Removal

Graffiti removal is a joint responsibility of the Streets Division and the Community Code Division. Graffiti is addressed in Chapter 14, Section 14-15 of the Code of Ordinances and is enforced by the Community Code Division. Graffiti is considered to be a public nuisance and is defined by the ordinance as any inscription, word, figure, painting or other defacement that is written, marked, etched, scratched, sprayed, drawn, painted, or engraved on or otherwise affixed to any surface of public or private property, natural or man-made, by a implement or chalk, without the prior written consent of the property owner. Once cited by the Division, a property owner is given seven calendar days to remove the markings. In the absence of action by the property owner to abate, the Streets Division may remove the graffiti from the property and bill the owner. For more information regarding graffiti abatement or to report a location of concern, please contact Community Code Division at 252 467-4952.