Development Services

Board of Adjustment


Board of Adjustment meetings are held on the first Tuesday of the month at 5:30 pm in the George W. Dudley City Council Chamber, Third Floor, Frederick E. Turnage Municipal Building [331 S. Franklin Street, Rocky Mount, NC 27804]

The Board of Adjustment hears and decides appeals and reviews any order, requirement or determination made in the enforcement of the City’s Land Development Code. This Board is a quasi-judicial board for ruling on appeals, variances, and special uses within the City Limits and Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ).

The Board of Adjustment (BoA) is comprised of nine regular members and four alternate members. The City Council appoints seven regular members, one from each ward of the City, and two alternate members whose residence is within the corporate limits of the City of Rocky Mount. Members appointed by the City Council vote on all matters coming before the Board. The Boards of Commissioners of Nash and Edgecombe Counties each appoint one regular member and one alternate member whose residence is within the extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) as set forth in the Land Development Code of the City of Rocky Mount in the respective county from which they are appointed. Members appointed by the two counties vote on matters involving the ETJ of their respective county. Alternate members appointed by the City Council may replace regular members so appointed who are absent. Alternate members appointed by the two counties may replace regular members of their respective counties who are absent. Alternate members are vested with the same powers as regular members when serving for an absent member.

Important terms:

Variance – A variance is intended to provide relief where the strict application of a city provision would result in unnecessary hardship. Variances are not granted to remove inconveniences.

Special use permit – Special Use Permits are for uses that may be appropriate within a particular zoning district, but because of the increased potential for incompatibility with adjacent uses, the use is only allowed upon the presentation of competent, material, and substantial evidence establishing compliance with one or more city standards.

Appeal – Any person with standing under N.C. Gen. Stat. § 160D-1402(c), or the City of Rocky Mount, may file an appeal of any decision, order, requirement, or determination relating to the interpretation, compliance, or application of city regulations made by an administrative official charged with the administration and enforcement of these provisions

Planning Board

Historic Preservation Commission

Board of Adjustment