Development Services

Community Code

Community Code Enforcement is responsible for enforcing ordinances designed to protect the life, health, safety, and welfare of our citizens as well as property values for residential and certain commercial properties within the City of Rocky Mount. For more information, please contact the Community Code Division at

Minimum Housing Code
The City’s Minimum Housing Code is addressed in Chapter 11 of the Code of Ordinances and is enforced by the Community Code Division. The ordinances are primarily geared towards single-family dwellings and limited multi-family structures. Boarding houses with more than four units are considered to be commercial structures and are handled by the Planning Department. The minimum housing code is intended to remedy and prevent the decay and deterioration of places of human habitation or intended for human habitation, and/or certain abandoned structures by providing minimum requirements for the protection of the life, health, welfare, safety, and property of the general public and the owners and occupants of places of human habitation. Dwellings found to be in violation of the Minimum Housing Code are categorized as deteriorated or dilapidated. According to the minimum housing code, a dwelling is deemed to be deteriorated if the cost of repairs required to bring a structure into compliance with the minimum housing code costs 40% or less of the tax value of the structure. When the repair cost exceeds 40% of the tax value of the structure, it is considered dilapidated. Deteriorated dwellings must be brought into compliance if they are occupied. Dilapidated dwellings must be brought into compliance or demolished.

Abatement of Public Nuisances
Public Nuisances are addressed in Chapter 10 of the Code of Ordinances and are enforced by the Community Code Division. Items addressed within the ordinances include grass and weeds; nuisances such as refuse, trash, and waste; improperly stored animal or vegetable matter; appliances and the like stored outdoors; and vacant, unsecured residential structures. Owners issued a notice in conjunction with a violation of this ordinance are given seven (7) days to abate the violation or the City will do so and bill the property owner.

Graffiti is addressed in Chapter 14, Section 14-15 of the Code of Ordinances and is enforced by the Community Code Division. Graffiti is considered to be a public nuisance and is defined by the ordinance as any inscription, word, figure, painting or other defacement that is written, marked, etched, scratched, sprayed, drawn, painted, or engraved on or otherwise affixed to any surface of public or private property, natural or man-made, by a implement or chalk, without the prior written consent of the property owner. Once cited by the Division, a property owner is given seven (7) calendar days to remove the markings. In the absence of action by the property owner to abate, the City may remove the graffiti from the property and bill the owner.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does Community Code inspect for or test for mold?
No. Community Code Inspectors are not trained or certified to identify, test, or remediate mold. Contact your county health department:

Edgecombe: 252-641-7511

Nash: 252-459-9819

What is the bright green sticker on the motor vehicle on my property?

This is to identify a possible nuisance vehicle. Contact the Inspector noted on the sticker as soon as possible as the vehicle is subject to being towed.

Are smoke detectors required in rental properties?

Yes. North Carolina General Statute 42-42 details the requirements for both smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in a rental property. State Building Codes and the National Fire Protection Association standards also detail the number of alarms and where they are to be placed within a residence. Both tenants and landlords are subject to fines under this statute for disabling or damaging a smoke alarm or carbon monoxide alarm.

Can I have furniture on my porch?

Yes, as long as it is designed for outdoor use. City Ordinance 10-91 prohibits household or office furniture, white goods or other appliances or items not designed to withstand the elements, from being outside.

Will Community Code remove cars from the street?

No. Community Code has jurisdiction on private property and the Rocky Mount Police Department has jurisdiction on public property, including roadways and streets.

What is the maximum allowable height for grass?

The City of Rocky Mount is very generous by allowing for 12″ of grass height before issuing a notice. Please keep in mind Community Code Inspectors do not measure every lot or yard for grass height and they also are looking at a possible violation as a potential harboring or breeding place for vermin, rodents and mosquitoes.

Community Code Operation Feedback Form