Parks & Recreation
The American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide professional-level care for breathing and cardiac emergencies injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
April 21-23, 2023
Friday, April 21: 5 p.m.-9 p.m.
Saturday, April 22, and Sunday, April 23: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Rocky Mount Senior Center
427 S. Church Street
Rocky Mount, NC 27802
For additional information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Must be 15 years old.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both. Swimming on back or side is NOT allowed. Swim googles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only legs. Candidates must place their arms under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1:40 (no googles allowed):
- Start in water, swim 20 yards out. The face can be out of the water for this portion.
- Surface dive, feet or headfirst, to a depth of 7 – 10ft to retrieve a 10lb object.
- Return the object to the surface and keep face at or near the surface so you can breathe and swim object back to the starting point while on your back.
- Exit pool without assistance of ladder or steps.
American Red Cross Certificate requirements:
- Attend all class sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills.
- Demonstrate competency in 3 final scenarios.
- Complete final written exam and score at least 80% on written exam.
*Includes pocket mask
$50 of program is non-refundable should be registration be cancelled by the participant prior to the pre-course work being assigned.
Once pre-course work is assigned, there will be no refunds.
7 hours of course work must be completed 48 hours prior to the course begin date. Participants will be sent the link to complete via provided email.
Pre-requisites will be completed on the first day of class.
If pre-course work is not completed and pre-requisite in-water (300 yd swim, tread, and brick) must be completed prior to continuing in class.
For additional information, please contact Brian Harrell, Manager at 252-972-1152 or via email at email@example.com