Streets & Drainage Maintenance

Our services include: repairing utility cuts, potholes, repairs to street sections damaged by root intrusion or a compromised sub-base, maintenance of public dirt streets, and crack sealing to weatherproof streets and/or in advance of street resurfacing. Maintaining adequate drainage is also an important part of extending pavement life. Specific activities related to drainage that are part of the Division’s repair and maintenance activities include the grading and restoration of shoulders on strip paved streets and the maintenance and grading of roadside ditches.

For more information, please contact the Streets Division at 252-467-4800, option 6.


The Streets Division is responsible for the repair of potholes on city maintained streets. Potholes on state maintained roadways are the responsibility of the NCDOT and should be reported to the NCDOT County Maintenance office at 252-459-2762. If you are unsure of whether the location involves a city maintained or state maintained street, you can report the location to the Streets Division at 252-467-4800 and the location will be referred to the NCDOT if appropriate.

Street Resurfacing
The City’s street resurfacing program is primarily funded through gas tax proceeds remitted to the City by the State of North Carolina. These funds are allocated to the City based on roadway mileage and population. As these funds are inadequate to resurface every city maintained street as often as conventional pavement maintenance guidelines would suggest, the Public Works Department utilizes information compiled through a pavement condition survey in order to identify streets to be resurfaced and to determine their priority. This survey is completed on approximately a five year basis by an outside consultant with expertise in the evaluation and pavements and pavement rehabilitation.
Crack Sealing
Crack sealing is intended to preserve pavement life by preventing moisture from reaching the pavement sub base through cracks in the pavement surface. Crack sealing typically occurs December through March and entails removing foreign material from the cracks and filling with an asphalt-based material that is heated and injected into the crack.
Sidewalk Construction & Maintenance
All sidewalks are constructed and maintained in accordance with ADA guidelines and the local building code governing sidewalks. Any concerns regarding sidewalk conditions or locations in need of repair should be reported to the Streets Division at 252-467-4800.
Loose Leaf Collection, Mulch & Compost Giveaway

The Streets Division collects loose leaves from residential properties between November 1 and March 31.  To facilitate collection, the City is divided into two (2) collection zones (North and South) with collection alternating from one area to the other.  Depending on weather and volume of material, it may take several weeks to complete a zone. Collection operations are suspended if the material is too wet.    To determine which route a residence is assigned to, download the loose leaf collection map. During loose leaf collection season, residents are asked to place their leaves and pine straw free of limbs and debris into piles behind the curb or onto the road shoulder if no curb exists. Failure to adhere to this practice can lead to clogged storm drains, ponding water on streets, and localized flooding.

Loose leaf piles should be free of trash, sticks, limbs, bottles, cans, and other debris so that leaves and pine straw may be mechanically collected and processed into clean mulch and compost. Piles containing limbs, trash and other debris cannot be processed by the leaf vacuum collection machines and crews will not collect the loose leaf pile if these items are present. Bagged or containerized loose leaves and yard waste will be collected by the Environmental Services Division on the normal day of trash and yard waste collection.  Bagged yard waste should be in a clear plastic bag so it can be easily identified as yard waste.

Mulch & Compost Giveaway

Collected yard waste is composted and given away at no charge between April 1st and October 31st.  The mulch/compost can be obtained from the City’s composting facility located at 394 Arrow Rd. without appointment every Friday between 8 am to 3:30 pm and the first Saturday of each month between 8 am to 12:00 pm. during the months of April through October. If an observed holiday falls on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday; the Friday giveaway will be canceled, and the Saturday giveaway will be rescheduled to the following Saturday.  Individuals or businesses wishing to obtain mulch or compost totaling 15 cy or more, may obtain the material at any time of year by special appointment.

To schedule an appointment call 252-467-4800 option 6.

Snow & Ice Removal

The Streets Division is responsible for snow and ice removal within the city limits. Exceptions include primary routes such as Wesleyan Boulevard (US 301 Bypass), US 64, and I-95. Either during and/or after a snow or ice event, snowplowing is performed to remove the material from the streets and to restore city streets to pre-event conditions. Plowing is only initiated when snow accumulations reach over two (2) inches. Accumulations less than two (2) inches or events that include more ice than snow are not appropriate for plowing.

Graffiti Removal

Graffiti removal is a joint responsibility of the Streets Division and the Community Code Division. Graffiti is addressed in Chapter 14, Section 14-15 of the Code of Ordinances and is enforced by the Community Code Division. Graffiti is considered to be a public nuisance and is defined by the ordinance as any inscription, word, figure, painting or other defacement that is written, marked, etched, scratched, sprayed, drawn, painted, or engraved on or otherwise affixed to any surface of public or private property, natural or man-made, by a implement or chalk, without the prior written consent of the property owner. Once cited by the Division, a property owner is given seven calendar days to remove the markings. In the absence of action by the property owner to abate, the Streets Division may remove the graffiti from the property and bill the owner. For more information regarding graffiti abatement or to report a location of concern, please contact Community Code Division at 252-467-4952.