Down East Senior Games
The Down East Senior Games (DESG) is composed of five counties: Nash, Wilson, Edgecombe, Halifax, and North Hampton. DESG was established in 1983 with a vision to create a year-round health promotion and wellness education program for adults 50 years of age and better. Participants will compete in their own age and sex categories in increments of five years. (Example: 50-54 is one age category and 80-84 is another.)
Events take place in Rocky Mount, Tarboro, and Wilson, North Carolina. The event categories in which seniors may choose to compete are sports, literary arts, performing arts, visual arts, and heritage arts. Our annual games start in late April and end in the middle of May. Below you will find more information on events, registration, volunteering and donating. Be sure to follow us on Facebook!
Fall Tournament 2021
August 9 beings registration for our second Down East Senior Games Fall Tournament! Competition will include Bocce, Cornhole, Shuffleboard, Mixed Doubles Pickleball & Double Pickleball.
- Competition will be by age divisions as follows: 50-70 & 71-90+ , you will be playing against the opposite sex in Bocce, Cornhole & Shuffleboard.
- Your age as of December 31, 2021, will determine the age category in which you compete.
- DESG’s reserves the right to cancel or combine age groups for any event due to insufficient registration.
- Day of Registration will close 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start time of each event and check in will begin directly after.
- Each event will have a 30-minute rules and warm up period beginning at the scheduled start time, competitive play will begin directly after.
- Prizes will be awarded for 1st place finalists in each age category for Bocce, Cornhole and Shuffleboard. Prizes will be awarded for 1st place finalists in the divisions made for Pickleball based off of ratings.
- Pickleball ratings are based off USA Pickleball digit ratings of 1.0-5.0 in .5 increments.
Pre-registration will be held from August 9- September 9 for $10 a person. We will also have day of registration for $10 CASH only.
Ways to register – Print off the registration by Clicking Here or pick one up at the Rocky Mount Senior Center. Make all checks payable to City of Rocky Mount.
Mail to: P.O. Box 1180, Rocky Mount NC 27804
Morgan Doughtie, 252-462-2730
Kelsye Newsome, 252-246-1133
Registration and Donations:
Rebecka Morgan, 252-972-1564
Includes badminton, basketball, basketball shooting, billiards, bocce, cornhole, croquet, cycling, discus throw, football throw, golf, horseshoes, pickleball, race-walking, running long jump, shot put, shuffleboard, softball, softball throw, standing long jump, swimming, table tennis, tennis and track events.
Includes cheerleading, comedy/drama, solo dance, small group dance, large group dance, solo instrumental, group instrumental, solo vocal, group vocal small group line dance and large group line dance.
Literary & Visual Arts
Liberal Arts includes essays, short stories, life experiences, and poetry.
Visual Arts includes acrylics, oil, drawing, mixed media, photography, sculpture, and watercolor.
Includes basket weaving, china painting, crocheting/knitting, jewelry, needlework, quilting, stained glass, tole/decorative painting, pottery, weaving, woodcarving and woodworking.